Fire in coal mine – crews treated for carbon monoxide exposure

Poisonous gas from a fire in the Hazelwood coal mine at Morwell in eastern Victoria has forced firefighters to abandon the blaze and seek medical treatment.

The ABC reports that seven firefighters were treated for high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood after fighting a fire in a disused part of the mine.

All of the affected firefighters are expected to make a complete recovery. Crews have been pulled out of the coal pit and are now working on the edges of the fire until the situation can be contained.

Victoria’s ongoing bushfires are believed to have started the underground mine blaze, along with the fire that caused damage to a nearby power station.

Eight generators at the power station were affected by the fires, however owners of the station say they should be back on line some time today.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to our FREE eNewsletter to have future articles delivered directly to your inbox.

Related Products:




There are no comments

Add yours