Newcrest to cut 100 jobs at Cadia Ridgeway mine
One hundred jobs are expected to be cut from the Cadia Ridgeway gold mine in New South Wales.
Newcrest announced in it’s quarterly report the mine will be placed in care and maintenance on March 3.
About 50 permanent contractors and 50 permanent staff will be shed at the mine, near Orange, according to a report by ABC.
“Production for the December quarter was adversely impacted by processing issues, namely the previously announced Concentrator 1 SAG mill motor issue, the temporary loss of power due to a transformer fire and downtime for a ball mill gearbox replacement,” the company said.
“The impact of these were partially offset by marginally higher gold recoveries.”
The majority of the workforce at Ridgeway will be transferred to Cadia East, but the company said it could not find positions for 100 people.