Innovation Partnership to Enhance Operational Efficiency
Today the Hon Karen Andrews MP, Minister for Industry, Science and Technology announced recipients of the Government’s METS Ignited Collaborative Project Funds, confirming Roy Hill’s innovative project with Mineral Technologies will receive $1 million from the Government, matching funds contributed by Roy Hill.
“I am delighted the Government is supporting our partnership with Mineral Technologies – a project that seeks to enhance the operational efficiency of our mine, delivering more high-grade product while reducing waste for the same operational cost” said Roy Hill CEO Barry Fitzgerald. The automation of spiral control in the Roy Hill Beneficiation Plant will materially improve the concentration of ore into high value product for export.
More high-grade product and less waste will be produced for the same feed and processing cost, delivering value to both the environment and Roy Hill’s bottom line. Once proven effective at Roy Hill, the technology can be commercialised and rolled out at similar operations across the world.
“This innovation project will deliver a step-change improvement through real time control of our 720 spirals, enabling our processing plant to dynamically respond to the natural variability of the material it is treating.” Mr Fitzgerald continued.
“The project embodies the Roy Hill values of Lead, Care, Think and Perform. As a margin focussed operation, Roy Hill is constantly seeking ways to optimise our value chain to drive productivity gains across our mine and mineral processing plant.
“We are delighted to find a like-minded improvement focussed project partner in Mineral Technologies. This work has the potential to not only enhance Roy Hill’s operational efficiency in the short term, but deliver benefits to the project partners, our industry, the environment, and the Australian economy in the long term.”
About Roy Hill
Roy Hill is a world-class iron ore operation and the largest single ore mine in Australia. Situated 344km south east of Port Hedland in Western Australia’s mineral rich Pilbara region, Roy Hill is an independent iron ore operation with local majority ownership and chaired by Mrs Gina Rinehart. With integrated mine, rail and port facilities producing 55Mtpa – Roy Hill is one of the world’s major resource-based operations, which will deliver enormous benefits to the broader community for many years to come.
Roy Hill’s first shipment of iron ore departed from Port Hedland on 10 December 2015 and has since loaded multiple shipments to its key markets in Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan. Roy Hill achieved many firsts, including the largest mainland resource debt funding in the world, from 19 of the world’s largest banks, and five Export Credit Agencies.
Roy Hill operates some of the largest equipment in the world and in addition to having the fastest ramp up to 55Mtpa in the Pilbara, has maintained a focus on safety excellence.
In December 2015, Mrs Rinehart was recognised as “Miner of the Decade” by the Sydney Mining Club. She has also been awarded “Chairman of the Year” by CEO Magazine.
Roy Hill has been presented with a range of accolades, including:
- 2018 WA Training Awards WA Employer of the Year
- 2018 Prospect Award for Community Interaction
- 2018 L&MH Mercury Awards Transport Solution of the Year: Rail
- 2017 Platts Global Metals Awards Rising Star Company Award
- 2016 Australian Mining Prospect Awards Excellence in Environmental Management Award
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Engineering Distinction
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Resource Development
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Project Management
- 2016 Project Management Institute Project of the Year
- 2016 Railway Technical Society of Australasia Railway Project Award
- 2015 Mines & Money Asian Corporate Development Award
- 2015 IJ Global Asia-Pacific Project Mining & Metals Deal of the Year
- 2015 IJ Global Asia Pacific Deal of the Year
- 2014 FinanceAsia Magazine Project Finance Deal of the Year Award
- 2014 Finance International Magazine Asia Pacific Deal of the Year
Read more Mining Safety News