Springvale mineworkers have returned to work today, ending months of uncertainty about the mine’s future, with Centennial Coal given the go-ahead to continue operating until 2028.
CFMEU Mining and Energy Division NSW South Western District Vice President Graeme Osborne said that Centennial Coal had been forced to stand down the majority of the coalmine’s 350 local workers on August 21 due to delays in the approvals processes of the New South Wales Government and the Federal Government.
“Its been tough, but this is a big win for our community. It has been a trying time for Lithgow mineworkers, their families and the entire community, ” said Mr Osborne.
“A lot of anxiety for local people was caused by the uncertainty and the delays around the mine extension approval and I’d like to give a huge pat on the back to employees and site representatives for the control and discipline they displayed – particularly in the last eight weeks.
“We’d like to thank the whole community for getting behind mineworkers at Springvale – for rallying in support of the mine and attending the Planning and Assessment Commission hearings.
“Thanks to the support of the community and the dedication of the mineworkers, their partners and their families, these jobs have now been secured and hundreds of families in Lithgow can now go on with their lives and plan their futures.
“The Springvale coalmine has been part of our community for more than 20 years and we’re looking forward to many more years of good, permanent, local jobs.”